Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Christmas Season

This Christmas Season:



Could you imagine being 13 and pregnant? How about 13 a virgin and pregnant? How about being those and living in a place where you die for being pregnant out of wedlock.  This is the story of the mother of Jesus, Mary. 
Mary’s story is told in the book of Luke, one of the most amazing books throughout the bible because there is so much abandonment and surrender of self, something I struggle big time with. 
Have you ever surrendered to anything? I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not so good at it. I am probably one of the most stubborn people I know and that is something I continue to work and pray on daily. I’d like to say that I surrendered my life to God and although I made that commitment, I know it’s a daily struggle to do that. 
I think ever since I moved back home I’ve struggled more with surrender and instead I’ve been ignoring God and trying to surrender to others. I was told recently “I act like I’m better than everyone.” I know that as a Christian people should be able to point you out, that you live radically and in such a way that people will notice the difference in you. However, I don’t think this was what she was referring to and regardless it’s caused me to evaluate myself. 
I find it easy to get into a pattern of life where you go about your daily tasks and succumb to those around you. I’m realizing now more than ever that this is exactly what the devil wants me to do so I can push myself further from God. I’m thankful for the signs and people God brings into my life to hold me accountable whether they are friends or not. 
I hope this Christmas season is full of love and remembrance of why it’s called CHRISTmas. Share the love of God and the story of his birth with someone who doesn’t know. Practice surrender and compassion, forgiveness and grace, giving and selflessness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment